Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Performing Part 2 - Preparing Your Body.

Singing is a whole-body workout and what you eat and drink before you go on stage can make a big difference in your performance. Whether you have a great voice or struggle to carry a tune, how you treat your voice and body before you go on stage can have a surprising impact on your performance.

Before I get ahead of myself, I want to say that the majority of these are things I've done myself and I've learned the hard way that they hurt my ability to perform. There are a million books on the subject that will give you the medical reasons you should or should not do certain things, here I'll just give you the ones I've found to have the most impact, both positively and negatively.

Alcohol and Drugs

I love a beer (or several) as much as the next guy, but don't drink or use drugs before you go on stage. It may help your self confidence, but you'll sound like shit. Do yourself (and your audience a favor) and don't drink before or during playing. There are some people who can do it, but we all get a little sloppy when we've had a few and all the tight timing and clever melodies you perfected while practicing will come out sloppy and loose, and you probaby won't notice. If you're serious about playing then stay away from the booze until after you've played.

I am in no way preaching tee-totalsim or whatever its called, believe me, I love to have fun, but would you show up to work after a couple of beers? If you would then I hope you're not driving my bus on the way home.

Smoking

I was a smoker for years and now that I've stopped I've found a voice I never knew I had. It's still a struggle to stay away from ciggarettes when I want something to do with my hands before a show, but I know it hurts my voice and therefore my ability to perform. Smoking dries out your throat and makes it more difficult to find the vocal agility and lung capacity you have with a moist throat. You'll miss the high notes, and again, all the clever runs you spent so much time practicing will be wasted because you can't sing them. Basically, its a bad idea.

Coffee

I performed in coffee houses for years and I LOVE coffee, the problem is that it also dries you out right before performing. I have no idea what it is about coffee that makes it difficult so sing right after drinking a cup, but I'd suggest staying away.

Music has a reputation as a pretty debaucherous pursuit. Unfortunately, if you're serious about being a singer and performer you need to stay away from some of its more interesting elements until after you've played. Rock stars aren't made overnight and unless you're careful about how you fuel your body, you'll end up in the line of should-have-beens, rather than as could be.

I'm not saying don't have fun, just don't over-do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment